Flight Software Engineer (Full-time)
Lúnasa Space is a UK-based space-tech startup with a mission to accelerate sustainable, reliable, and affordable in-space logistics and infrastructure. The company is developing an innovative, dual-stage, and reusable in-space satellite servicing vehicle to provide very affordable access to space for SmallSats through rideshare and last-mile transportation, and ultimately services such as active debris removal, End-of-Life services, life extension, and advanced payload inspection in Earth orbits and beyond.
With a team of over 40 years of developing space technology experience, Lúnasa intends to de-risk its intelligent visual-based guidance, navigation, and control (GNC) system for rendezvous proximity operations and docking (RPOD) on-orbit by early 2024.
Location: Hybrid – Harwell Campus, Atlas Bldg., Didcot, and remote.
Salary: £40,000 – £60,000 (depending on prior experience).
This position is for a candidate who has the right to work in the UK.
This particular role is focusing on designing and developing the flight software for Lúnasa’s upcoming satellites. The flight software engineer will lead the development of genuine flight software of the satellites and should be comfortable with initial development phases and managing outsourcing partial development of the architecture. This role requires the applicant to be an experienced and motivated spacecraft software engineer and willing to work in a fast-growing and dynamic start-up environment.
The Flight Software Engineer will be required to fulfil the following tasks or will be required to possess the following skills:
- At least 3 years of experience in actively writing or designing flight software for satellites;
- Familiarisation with ECSS standards in the field of flight software (including but not limited to ECSS-E-ST-40C);
- A good knowledge and understanding in C (ANSI-C) is required, as the flight software will be written using this language.
- A good knowledge and understanding in C++ is required;
- A working knowledge in Java and/or Python (not mandatory but advantageous to the development);
- Experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process;
- Should not yield under stress and should produce results during difficult situations;
- Should enjoy problem solving and product results within a given schedule and budget;
- Should be capable of working in a team environment as a part of fast-paced technical environment;
- Excellent communications skills (written/verbal).
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- Experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs.
Education and work experience:
Bachelor/Master’s degree in either Space Engineering, Software Engineering/Computer Science, Physics, or similar disciplines.