AOCS Graduate Engineer
Lúnasa Space is a UK-based space-tech start-up with a mission to accelerate sustainable, reliable, and affordable in-space logistics and infrastructure. The company is developing an innovative, dual-stage, and reusable in-space satellite servicing vehicle to provide very affordable access to space for SmallSats through rideshare and last-mile transportation, and ultimately services such as active debris removal, End-of-Life services, life extension, and advanced payload inspection in Earth orbits and beyond.
With a team of over 40 years of developing space technology experience, Lúnasa intends to de-risk its intelligent visual-based guidance, navigation, and control (GNC) system for rendezvous proximity operations and docking (RPOD) on-orbit by early 2024.
Location: Harwell Campus, Atlas Bldg., Didcot, OX11 0QX.
Duration: 12 months.
Start date: Preferably early September.
This position is for a candidate who has the right to work in the UK.
As the Attitude and Orbit Control Systems (AOCS) Engineer at Lúnasa, your role will be responsible to support the development of control systems, supporting a variety of upcoming Lúnasa missions. A major emphasis will be in reliable controls schemes for spacecraft rendezvous proximity operations and docking (RPOD). What we look at beyond individual skills and qualifications, is the aptitude for complex technical challenges and your practical experience designing/developing/coding variety of systems that will trump specific qualification or tools any day.
Requirements and Essential Skills:
You must be a recent graduate of an MSc level course or equivalent with a degree in Space Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or similar disciplines.
- A good knowledge on AOCS actuators and sensors;
- A good knowledge in the field of control and estimation theory;
- A good knowledge in orbital mechanics;
- A good knowledge in understanding the dynamic equations of a satellite in orbit;
- An understanding in testing an AOCS system and its functionalities;
- Familiarisation with ECSS standards;
- Practical experience implementing controls in software including Python, Matlab, Simulink, C or similar programming languages;
- Excellent communication skills, both as written and spoken
- Should not yield under stress and should produce results during difficult situations;
- Should enjoy problem solving and product results within a given schedule and budget;
- Should be capable of working in a team environment as a part of fast-paced technical environment;
- Excellent communication skills, both as written and spoken.
- Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context;
- Experience in performing requirements analyss and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs.
- Passionate about space sustainability.